Every now and then, you just want a delicious casserole that warms your insides. Casseroles are the great marriage between soup and an entree. Use these ideas to help create your perfect casserole. This recipe serves about 4.
As always, this can be food storage friendly.
Choose your protein:
- 1/2 lb of cooked chicken cut into bit size pieces
- 2 cans of chicken
- 1/2 lb of browned beef
- 1/2 cup of peas/edamame and 1 cup of broccoli (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 lb of seasoned and cooked tofu but into bit size pieces
Choose your vegetables (pick 1-3):
- 1 cup of broccoli
- 1 cup of chopped and steamed asparagus
- 1 cup of sliced zucchini
- 1 cup of steamed carrots
- 1 cup of cauliflower
Choose your starch:
- 1 cup of cooked rice
- 1 cup of cooked macaroni noodles
- 1 cup of chopped potatoes
- 1 cup of crushed potato chips on top
Sauce ingredients (pick one variety):
- 4 tablespoons of butter, 1/2 cup of flour, 1 cup of milk, 1 cup of cream (heavy or half and half), 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, about 1/4 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons of butter, 1/2 cup of flour, 1/2 cup of milk, 1 cup of cream, 1/2 cup of beef broth
- 1 can of condensed cream of chicken/mushroom/celery soup, and one can of water/milk
- 1 prepared country fried chicken gravy mix
For the cream sauce:
- If making the sauce from scratch, melt the butter in a pot on medium heat.
- Add the flour and stir well.
- Immediately add the milk and cream. Heat for another 2-4 minutes.
- Add cheese (if using) and stir every 3 minutes until melted.
For the casserole:
- Cook your protein of choice. Season with salt and pepper. Consider adding either chili pepper, yellow curry, taco seasoning, seasoned salt, or chicken seasoning to your protein.
- Cook your starch. If using potatoes, chop into small pieces and then boil for about 30 minutes. For additional flavor, cook starches in some chicken/beef/vegetable broth.
- Add vegetables, protein and starch into a baking pan. Add sauce on top. Cook covered for another 20-30 minutes on 350.
- Add cheese or potato chips on top for another 5 minutes if desired.